Person: SÖNMEZ, BERKANT
Now showing 1 - 6 of 6
- PublicationMetadata onlyThe association of serum adiponectin levels with histopathological variables in gastric cancer patients(2010-12-01T00:00:00Z) ŞEKER, MESUT; Bilici, Ahmet; Sönmez, BERKANT; Ustaalioglu, Bala Başak; Gümüş, Mahmut; Gozu, Hulya; Sargin, Mehmet; Orcun, Asuman; Gezen, Cem; Eser, Mehmet; Bildik, Nejdet; Salepci, Taflan; ŞEKER, MESUT; SÖNMEZ, BERKANTAdiponectin is a peptide hormone secreted from the adipose tissue, affecting the proliferation and insulin sensitivity in different cell types. The levels of adiponectin have been found to be decreased in hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistant states, such as obesity. The previous studies have suggested that plasma adiponectin levels are decreased in patients with endometrial and breast cancer. In our study, the relationship among serum adiponectin levels, demographic features and histopathological variables was evaluated in gastric cancer patients. Forty consecutive patients with gastric cancer who underwent gastrectomy with standard lymph node dissection were included and 43 healthy controls were included in this study. The serum levels of glucose, insulin, C-peptide, HbA1c and adiponectin were measured in both groups. We analyzed the correlation among these parameters and patients- demographic features, such as age, gender, body mass index (BMI) and histopathological variables such as tumor localization, stage, nodal status, histological grade, vascular and lymphatic invasion. The mean age was 60.05 + 9.72 in patients, while it was 38.6 + 12.73 in controls. The mean serum adiponectin levels were 12.62 + 7.9 and 10.07 + 6.72 ng/ml, respectively, in groups. There was no different in terms of adiponectin, C-peptide, HOMA-R level in both groups. On the other hand, BMI, glucose and insulin levels were significantly different in gastric cancer patients in comparison with the controls. There was no correlation among the levels of adiponectin, BMI, insulin and c-peptide levels in patient group (P > 0.05). The adiponectin levels of woman were significantly lower than male patients (P = 0.002). No relations were detected among tumor stage, tumor localization, nodal status, lymphatic and vascular invasion, and the levels of serum adiponectin (P > 0.05). Interestingly, a positive correlation was found between tumor grade and plasma adiponectin levels (r = 0.372; P = 0.018). Our results suggest that plasma adiponectin levels were similar in both patients with gastric cancer and the controls. In addition, no correlation was found between adiponectin levels and demographic features and histopathological variables of patients. But, in undifferentiated tumors, plasma adiponectin level was significantly higher than well-differentiated grade tumors.
- PublicationMetadata onlyTissue and Serum Adiponectin Levels in Patients with Gastric Cancer: Are there any Correlations between Adiponectin Levels and Histopathological Variables?(2011-09-01T00:00:00Z) ŞEKER, MESUT; Bilici, Ahmet; Güler, Derya Öztaş; Ustaalioglu, Bala Başak; Gozu, Hulya; Erkal, Fatih Yavuz; Sönmez, BERKANT; Karaduman, Mustafa; Kefeli, Umut; Yıldırım, Emre; Salepci, Taflan; Gumus, Mahmut; ŞEKER, MESUT; SÖNMEZ, BERKANTBackground/Aims: Adiponectin is secreted from adipose tissue and is characterized by hyperinsulinemia, which is related with obesity. Adiponectin levels are significantly lower in gastric cancer patients than in healthy controls. The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between adiponectin levels in serum, tumor tissue and normal tissue with some other insulin resistance parameters.
- PublicationMetadata onlyBilateral conjunctival MALT lymphoma mimicking chronic conjunctivitis.(2010-01-01T00:00:00Z) Seker, MESUT; OZDEMIR, B; BILICI, A; USTAALIOĞLU, BB; SONMEZ, BERKANT; YILMAZ, BERZA; KURNAZ, E; GUMUS, M; YAYLACI, M; ŞEKER, MESUT; SÖNMEZ, BERKANT
- PublicationMetadata onlyIs metastatic lymph node ratio superior to the number of metastatic lymph nodes to assess outcome and survival of gastric cancer?(2010-01-01T00:00:00Z) BILICI, A; USTAALIOĞLU, BB; GUMUS, M; Seker, MESUT; YILMAZ, BERZA; KEFELI, U; YILDIRIM, ELİF ÖZLEM; SONMEZ, BERKANT; SALEPCI, T; KEMENT, M; MAYADAGLI, ALPASLAN; ŞEKER, MESUT; YILDIRIM, ELİF ÖZLEM; SÖNMEZ, BERKANT; MAYADAĞLI, ALPASLAN
- PublicationMetadata onlyIs there any correlation among adiponectin levels in serum, tumor tissue and normal tissue of the same patients wih breast cancer?(2011-04-01T00:00:00Z) SONMEZ, BERKANT; Seker, MESUT; BILICI, A; Yavuz, Erkal; Oven, Ustaalioglu; GUMUS, M; Ozturk, Guler; KARADUMAN, M; GEZEN, C; ESER, M; BILDIK, N; SALEPCI, T; SÖNMEZ, BERKANT; ŞEKER, MESUT
- PublicationMetadata onlyPreoperative serum leptin levels in patients with breast cancer.(2010-06-01T00:00:00Z) ALIUSTAOGLU, M; BILICI, A; GUMUS, M; COLAK, AT; BALOGLU, G; IRMAK, R; Seker, MESUT; USTAALIOĞLU, BB; SALMAN, T; SONMEZ, BERKANT; SALEPCI, T; YAYLACI, M; ŞEKER, MESUT; SÖNMEZ, BERKANT