Goal: 13 - İklim Eylemi
İklim Eylemi İklim değişikliği ve etkileri ile mücadele için acilen eyleme geçmek. Dünya üzerinde iklim değişikliğinin ağır etkilerini bizzat yaşamayan tek ülke yoktur. Sera gazı emisyonları atmaya devam ediyor ve şu anda, 1990 yılındaki düzeye göre %50 artmış durumdadır. Doğu Avrupa ve Orta Asya, büyük sera gazı emisyonu üreticileri değiller; ancak iklim değişikliğinin sonuçlarından orantısız biçimde zarar görüyorlar. Küresel ısınma, insanların hayatını ciddi ölçüde etkiliyor. Hemen şimdi harekete geçmeliyiz.
Publication Search Results
Now showing 1 - 10 of 10
- PublicationMetadata onlyStudies on the Morphology, Anatomy and Ecology of Anacamptis pyramidalis (L.) L.C.M. Richard (Orchidaceae) in Turkey(2012-10-01) SEVGİ, ECE; ALTUNDAĞ, ERNAZ; KARA, OMER; SEVGI, ORHAN; TECIMEN, HUSEYIN BARIS; BOLAT, ILYAS; SEVGİ, ECEMorphological, anatomical and ecological characteristics of Anacamptis pyramidalis (L.) L. C. M. Richard in Turkey were investigated in this study. Plant materials of A. pyramidalis were provided from 21 native populations between 2007 and 2009 in Turkey, and their localities were recorded. A. pyramidalis samples were evaluated within 19 morphological, 20 anatomical, and 18 soil characters & habitat properties. The findings of this study are as follows: The plant length was minimum 248 mm and maximum 655 Iran, underground part length minimum 23 mm and maximum 140 mm, and number of leaves change between 2 and 14. The leaves were tetrastic, had no trichomes. In surface section of the leaves, the cuticle thickness (abaxial and adaxial), epidermis cell size (abaxial and adaxial) stomata dimensions and stomata index were measured. The epidermal cells- rows were parellel to the midrib. In cross sections of the leaves, upper epidermis was larger than lower epidermis. Vascular bundles were collateral and consist of xylem, phloem and sclerenchyma cells. Raphide bundles were observed in the mesophyll tissue and leaf midrib had lacunas. Chlorenchyma had scattered homogeneously. According to habitat definition of A. pyramidalis it grows from sea level to 1600 m whereas the most common habitat of A. pyramidalis are meadow, macchie and gaps in the forest lands. A. pyramidalis are grown in stony soils and also are rich in clay, and medium in organic carbon. pH of the soils differ from 6.77 to 7.54.
- PublicationOpen AccessSocial environmental impact of COVID-19 and erectile dysfunction: an explorative review.(2021-09-24T00:00:00Z) Pizzol, D; Shin, J I; Trott, M; Ilie, P-C; Ippoliti, S; Carrie, A M; Ghayda, R A; Lozano, J M O; Muyor, J M; Butler, L; McDermott, D T; Barnett, Y; Markovic, L; Grabovac, Igor; Koyanagi, A; Soysal, PINAR; Tully, M A; Veronese, N; Smith, L; SOYSAL, PINARBackground: To date, no attempt has been made to collate literature on the relationship between the social environmental impact of COVID-19 and erectile dysfunction. The aim of this explorative review was to assess and compare the prevalence of erectile dysfunction (ED) in male healthcare workers and males during the COVID-19 pandemic. Methods: A systematic review of major databases from inception to February 2021 was conducted. Prevalence data were extracted, and a random-effects meta-analysis was undertaken. Outcomes: The pooled prevalence of ED amongst healthcare workers working in COVID-19 specific environments, and non-healthcare during the COVID-19 pandemic. Results: Of 52 initial studies, six were included for the final analysis. The pooled prevalence of ED in healthcare workers working in a COVID-19 environment was 63.6% (95% CI 20.3-92.3%), and in non-healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic was 31.9% (95% CI 19.5-47.6%). Conclusion: The prevalence of ED in healthcare workers working in COVID-19 environments was higher than representative samples and is of concern. Sexual health (and by extension, overall health), should be a priority when considering ways to care for this population. Considering the social environmental impact of COVID-19 on sexual health and in particular on ED, it is important to provide adequate psychological support systems and to promote quality of life with particular attention to sexual health.
- PublicationOpen AccessRibavirin is not effective against Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever: observations from the Turkish experience(2013-10-01) CEYLAN, Bahadir; CALICA, Aylin; AK, Oznur; Akkoyunlu, YASEMİN; TURHAN, Vedat; AKKOYUNLU, YASEMİNCrimean–Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) is a viral infection associated with a high mortality rate. Ribavirin is the only drug used in the treatment of this disease. Studies investigating the effectiveness of ribavirin in CCHF have been retrospective and to date have included only a small number of cases. In recent years, due to climate changes, the number of cases of CCHF in Turkey has increased, and experience in the treatment of CCHF has improved. Several studies have evaluated the efficacy of ribavirin in Turkey, including one randomized controlled trial and two studies with a large number of cases. In these studies, ribavirin therapy was not shown to decrease mortality rates; the mortality rate was 2–9% in patients treated with ribavirin and 5.6–11% in those who were not treated with this drug. These findings suggest that patients with CCHF should be followed with supportive care only until randomized controlled trials with larger groups have been conducted.
- PublicationMetadata onlySensitization pattern of inhalant allergens in children with asthma who are living different altitudes in Turkey(2015-11-01T00:00:00Z) ÖZKAYA, EMİN; Sogut, Ayhan; Kucukkoc, Mehmet; Eres, Mustafa; Acemoglu, Hamit; YÜKSEL, HASAN; MURAT, NACİ; ÖZKAYA, EMİN; ZORLU, MEHMETVariability in children-s allergic sensitization has been detected not only among different countries but also among cities within the same nation but yet different climatic areas. The aim of this study was to investigate the sensitization pattern of asthmatic children who lived in different altitude areas: the two largest Turkish cities, Istanbul (sea level) and Erzurum (high altitude). Five hundred and twelve asthmatic children (6-15 years old) from Istanbul (western Turkey, at sea level) and 609 from Erzurum (eastern Turkey, at an altitude of 1800 m) were included in the study. All participants underwent skin testing with common inhalant allergens, spirometry, total IgE level, and clinical examination. The positive sensitization ratio to aeroallergens in children with asthma living at sea level was statistically higher than that in children living in the high altitude group [p = 0.001, OR (odds ratio) 4.9 (confidence interval (CI) 3.67-6.459)]. However, pollen sensitization in asthmatic children living in high altitudes was significantly higher than that in children living at sea level [p = 0.00, OR 2.6 (CI 1.79-3.87)]. Children with asthma who live at high altitudes are characterized by higher pollen but lower mite sensitization rates than those living at sea level in Turkey. Different climatic conditions and altitudes may affect aeroallergen sensitization in children with asthma.
- PublicationMetadata onlyİklim Destekli Beslenmede Bitki Bazlı Diyetler ve Sağlık Üzerine Etkileri(2022-09-01T00:00:00Z) Kıyak, Büşra; Güneş Bayır, Ayşe; GÜNEŞ BAYIR, AYŞEHer gün daha derinden etkilenilen küresel iklim krizi, sonuçlarıyla ekosistemleri ve insan hayatını tesiri altına alarak dünya genelinde büyük bir sorun haline gelmiştir. İklim krizinin en somut başlangıcı sanayi devrimi olarak görülürken nüfus artışına eşlik eden makineleşme bu soruna üstel olarak katkıda bulunur. Sektörler arası bir sorun olan iklim krizinde en büyük paylardan birine de gıda sistemi sahiptir. Olumsuz çevresel etkileri olan gıda sistemi, özellikle sera gazları emisyonu (GHGE), su gereksinimi ve arazı kullanımı açısından dünyadaki en önemli sektörlerden biridir. Diyetleri destekleyen besin zincirleri, çevresel sorunlarla bağlantılıdır. Artan dünya nüfusuna yeterli ve dengeli bir beslenme düzeni sağlanırken çevrenin yük kapasitesini aşmamak için diyetlerin çevresel zararını göz önünde bulundurmak zorunlu bir gereksinimdir. Diyet ve tüketim alanındaki gelişmeler, örneğin et, yumurta, süt gibi hayvansal ürünlerin sebze ağırlıklı beslenmeye göre daha çok tercih edilmesi karbon salınımını kat be kat arttırır. Protein alımının, üretimi ve işlenişi sonucu metan gazı (CH4) emisyonuna sebep olan hayvancılık sektörü yerine kuru baklagil ve tahıllardan karşılanması halinde sera gazı emisyonunda ortalama 5 milyar tonluk gibi büyük bir fark yaratır. Gıda tüketimi ve sürdürülebilirlikleri değerlendirilerek alternatif bitki bazlı diyet kalıpları oluşturulmuştur. Bitki bazlı diyet kalıpları; vücudu optimize eden biyoaktif bileşen, makro ve mikro besin içeriğinden dolayı olumlu sağlık etkileriyle ilişkilendirilmiştir. Daha önce yapılan çalışmalar bitki bazlı diyetlerin glisemik kontrol, kan lipid seviyesi kontrolü, diyabet, hipertansiyon, bazı kanser türleri, crohn hastalığı ve kalp hastalıkları gibi sağlık sorunları için etkili bir ilaçsız tedavi şekli olduğunu göstermiştir. Bu derleme makalede insan ayak izi ve diyet seçimleri arasındaki ilişki ele alınarak, bitki bazlı diyetlerin çevre sağlığının yan sıra insan sağlığına da olumlu yöndeki etkileri incelenmiştir.
- PublicationOpen AccessEffects of altitude changes on Doppler flow parameters for uterine, umbilical, and mid-cerebral arteries in term pregnancy: A pilot study(2015-12-01T00:00:00Z) Aksoy, Ayse Nur; Batmaz, Gonca; Dane, Banu; Kucur, Suna Kabil; Gozukara, Ilay; KILIÇOĞLU DANE, PAKİZER BANUObjective: We hypothesized that maternal and fetal circulations may be affected by moderately high altitudes. Therefore, we compared the differences in maternal and fetal Doppler flow parameters in women with term pregnancy living at a moderately high altitude (1890 m in Erzurum) with those of women living at the sea level (31 m in Istanbul).
- PublicationMetadata onlyImpact of Altitude on Predicting Midterm Outcome in Patients With ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction(2013-07-01T00:00:00Z) Isik, Turgay; Tanboga, Ibrahim Halil; Ayhan, Erkan; Uyarel, Huseyin; Kaya, Ahmet; Kurt, Mustafa; Erdogan, Ercan; Ergelen, Mehmet; Cicek, Gokhan; Akgul, Ozgur; Ghannadian, Bahman; KAYA, AHMETThis study investigated the effects of altitude on occurrence of mid-term negative events among patients presenting with ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI). This study enrolled 492 patients with STEMI. 119 of those patients were living at an intermediate altitude (1960 m, Group I) and 373 were living at sea level (0 m, Group II). There was no significant difference between the different altitude groups in terms of the incidence of cardiac death, urgent target vessel revascularization (TVR), stroke/transient ischemic attack (TIA) and composite endpoints. However, Group I had a significantly higher reinfarction incidence when compared with the Group II. Independent predictors of 6-month composite endpoints were history of statin use, presentation with acute stent thrombosis, peak CK-MB level, success of procedure, Killip classification, and left ventricular ejection fraction. In conclusion, altitude status and altitude-related hematologic changes had no influence over the mid-term outcomes in STEMI patients treated with percutaneous intervention.
- PublicationMetadata onlyRole of Osmotin in Strawberry Improvement(2012-10-01T00:00:00Z) Husaini, Amjad M.; Rafiqi, ABDUL MATTEEN; RAFIQI, ABDUL MATTEENIn nature, plants are often exposed to multiple biotic and abiotic stresses, severely affecting their growth and development and reducing their productivity. Future predicted adverse climatic changes might threaten the very sustainability of crop production worldwide. Various approaches ought to be explored to deal with the challenges of sustained crop production under such conditions. In this review, we explore the potential of osmotin, a stress-responsive multifunctional pathogenesis-related (PR)-5c protein from tobacco, in improving adaptability of crop plants to climatic changes. As osmotin plays an important role in salt and drought tolerance as well as in cold tolerance and in protecting plants against some fungal pathogens, the relevance of osmotin in improving tolerance to abiotic and biotic stresses in strawberry, a salt-sensitive plant that is also susceptible to several fungal pathogens, is presented herein.
- PublicationMetadata onlyAge determination and long bone histology in Stellagama stellio (Linnaeus, 1758) (Squamata: Sauria: Agamidae) populations in Turkey(2014-05-01T00:00:00Z) KUMAŞ, Meltem; AYAZ, DİNÇER; KUMAŞ, MELTEMIn this study, the age structures of the four populations of Roughtail Rock Agama, Stellagama stellio distributed in Turkey were determined and their long bone development was examined from a histological perspective. The ages of some 218individuals (32 juveniles, 86 male male, 100 female female) captured from the Mediterranean, Transitional Mediterranean, Aegean, and Central Anatolia Regions were computed with the method of skeletochronology, and the correlation between age and the SVL (the snout-vent length) was compared. The mean SVL was greater in males than in females, and this difference was found statistically significant in all populations except for the Central Anatolian population. The mean ages for male and female individuals were calculated as 3.44 +/- 1.26 and 3.18 +/- 1.18 years in the Mediterranean population, as 4.65 +/- 1.25 and 3.69 +/- 1.31 years in the Transitional Mediterranean population, as 4.05 +/- 1.32 and 3.36 +/- 1.46 years in the Aegean population, and as 4.20 +/- 1.87 and 3.60 +/- 2.01 years in the Central Anatolian population, respectively. The oldest individuals were encountered in the Central Anatolian populations, and the maximum age detected for both sexes was 7 years. It was determined that the age at maturity was 3 in all the populations under examination and that there was not any difference in age at maturity either among the populations or between sexes. There was a significant positive correlation between age and the SVL. The impacts of environmental factors on age structures were examined, and altitude, latitude and climate were found effective on longevity. Histologically, the primary bone, which developed in the embryonic period, was preserved throughout the life of a species even in the oldest individual. Neither secondary bone development nor formation of lamellar systems was encountered. It was seen that intramembranous and endochondral ossification mechanisms played a joint role in long bone development.
- PublicationOpen AccessQT interval changes in term pregnant women living at moderately high altitude(2016-09-01) BATMAZ, G.; AKSOY, A.; Aydin, SERDAR; Dane, B.; AYDIN, SERDAR; KAHRAMAN AY, NURAYObjective: This study aimed to compare the QT interval changes in women with term pregnancy living at moderately high altitude (1890 m in Erzurum, Turkey) with those of women living at sea level (31 m in İstanbul, Turkey). Materials and Methods: One‑hundred ten women (n = 55, for each group) with full‑term and single child pregnancies. Two different locations in that state were selected: İstanbul, Turkey, which is at 31 m above sea level (Group 1) and Erzurum, Turkey, at 1890 m above sea level (Group 2). Physicians from the two locations participated in the study. We estimated QTc, QTc Max, QTc Min, QT, and QTcd intervals. Results: Moderately high altitude group had significantly longer QT parameters (QTc, QTc Max, QTc Min, QT, and QTcd intervals) compared with sea level group (P < 0.01, for all). Conclusions: According to our results, QT interval changes occur in term pregnant women living moderately high altitude. These changes may be associated with pregnancy‑related cardiovascular complications in moderately high altitude.